Windows servers are not spared by WannaCry ransomware. If it is recommended to protect servers with an antivirus and a firewall (software or hardware), you will need to install the latest Windows Update updates or apply a patch specially made by Microsoft.
WannaCry and Windows Server 2016
Like Windows 10, Windows Server 2016 is not directly impacted by WCry because the security vulnerability does not exist on this version of the operating system. But it is advisable to download the most recent updates to protect against other threats.
1. Open the start menu , Parameters (gearwheel icon).
2. Icon” icon Updating and security «
3. Choose ” Choose “. Windows Update “in the left menu and check if there are any pending updates.
WannaCry and Windows Server 2012 R2 R2
Windows Server 2012 R2 is likely to be a victim of WCry ransomware. To prevent this situation, download this patch to apply Windows Update updates.
- Qualitative security update only for Windows Server 2012 R2 ( KB 4012213 ) – March 2017
WannaCry and Windows Server 2012
The patch KB 4012214 protects WS2012 against the WannaCry virus but it is recommended to install all important pending updates.
- Qualitative security update only for Windows Server 2012 ( KB 4012214 ) – March 2017
WannaCry and Windows Server 2008 R2 R2
The most common version of Windows Server, 2008 R2, must also be protected against ransom software. It will already be necessary to have SP1 on this OS . Here again, monthly rollups are to be preferred, to be found on Windows Update.
- March, 2017 Security Only Quality Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems ( KB 4012212 )
WannaCry and Windows Server 2008
Windows Server 2008 is also threatened and here is the patch to install on WS2008 SP2, Standard Edition, Enterprise or Datacenter.
- Security update for Windows Server 2008 for x64 processor computers ( KB 4012598 )
WannaCry and Windows Server 2003 / R2
As old as Windows XP and more maintained, Microsoft shares a special patch for Windows Server 2003, the KB 4012598.
- Windows Server 2003 SP2 x64 x64 (64bits)
- Windows Server 2003 SP2 x86 x86 (32bits)