If we are not used to seeing free programs at Microsoft, we can welcome the free antivirus software offered for Windows operating systems. Released in September 2009, Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE ) is a free antivirus protection software that was available on Windows at the time XP Vista and 7.
Since then, Windows 7 has been the only survivor since it is the only version still maintained by Microsoft, and on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10, Security Essentials has been replaced by Windows Defender, the new name of Microsoft’s free antivirus.
Microsoft Security Essentials is a free antivirus program to protect a Windows 7 computer . This anti-virus is therefore free of charge, it works in French and it is not necessary to renew it every year (such as Avast for example). No need to pay for an antivirus software Kaspersky , Norton , BitDefender or McAfee since Microsoft generously offers a good tool to neutralize and eliminate viruses and other malware.
It is not necessary to have several antivirus software on the same machine. To install MSE it will be necessary first of all uninstall the old virus protection program and then install the Microsoft software.
Download Microsoft Security Essentials, free antivirus for Windows 7
Click on one of the following choices, depending on the architecture of Windows 7 in 64-bit or 32-bit (the 64-bit system is the most common).
Download “Free Antivirus for Windows 7 (64-bit): Microsoft Security Essentials” AntivirusMSE -64bits.exe – Downloaded 28269 times – 14 MB
Download “Free Antivirus for Windows 7 (32-bit): Microsoft Security Essentials” AntivirusMSE -32bits.exe – Downloaded 25446 times – 12 MB
Install the free Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus
1. With a double click, open the downloaded file (AntivirusMSE -64bits.exe or AntivirusMSE -32bits.exe).
2. Accept User Account Control by “. Yes » :
3. Click on Next and I accept .
4. Click on”. I do not wish to participate in the program at this time “then Next .
5. On the Optimize Security screen, leave “If no firewall is enabled, enable Windows Firewall (recommended)” checked to ensure that the computer is properly protected. Simply go to Next .
6. One last confirmation: click on Install .
7. After installation, let it “Scan my computer immediately after obtaining the latest updates” by clicking on Finish .
8. Thus, the antivirus update will be done immediately and a quick scan of the hard disk will be done in the process.
9. Once the operation is complete, the antivirus software indicates that everything is fine and that the PC is protected.
10. In use, Microsoft’s free antivirus is easy to manage. He notifies by a notification on the screen if he blocks a threat and it will be enough to follow his recommendations to clean the computer. It is accessed by the green icon at the bottom right of the screen, near the time, which turns orange or red depending on the threats analyzed on the PC .
Note: in the case of a PC that is not connected to the Internet or that uses a very slow connection, you can download in advance the antivirus update package for Microsoft Security Essentials .