On iPhone, a navigation application GPS is provided as standard: Plans. This Google Maps equivalent requires an internet connection to use it, which restricts its use abroad or when you don’t have a large 3G/4G data plan. And not everyone has a GPS integrated into his car! There is therefore a solution to avoid having to buy a GPS nomad type TomTom or Garmin, or to avoid buying a paid application like TomTom Navigation on the AppStore: the free application Here Maps / Here WeGo .
Initially designed by Nokia, which has a solid technology and experience in GPS , the Here Maps application is reliable in its driving directions and operates in offline mode , i.e. without the need for a permanent Internet connection.
Have an application of GPS free and offline road trip on your iPhone is the easiest way to prepare for a holiday. Here Maps is therefore the ideal solution and the application is easy to use. This is the equivalent of a GPS TomTom free for iPhone.
Planned for iPhone, Here Maps will also work on iPad but the resolution is not adapted. It is necessary to have iOS 8.0 or higher to install the application. Think that downloaded cards can be bulky, so you need free space on the iPhone before installing the GPS Here WeGo.
For a faster and less expensive configuration, it is recommended to install and download the cards from a wifi connection.
Install Here WeGo / Here Maps GPS on iPhone
1. Open the AppStore and search for ” here wego “among the proposed applications.
or via this iTunes page .
2. Install the free application.
3. A blue icon Here Here has been added to the home screen.
Configure Here WeGo / Here Maps GPS on iPhone
1. At the first launch of the application, allow Here WeGo to access the location data of the device .
2. Open the menu ( icon of the 3 bars at the top left of the screen) to find Parameters .
3. Click on”. Download a voice “for add a French voice (or other language).
4. It is also in the Parameters that we configure the distance unit (metric or imperial) and the home address (indicate the street or the one next to it more than the exact address).
Download maps on Here Maps GPS for iPhone
1. Return to the menu (icon of the 3 bars) and press Download maps .
2. Choose a continent, a country, a region and click on the arrow at the end of the line to start downloading the desired geographical area.
3. Repeat the procedure to add all regions or countries to be covered when travelling. Think of the countries crossed, for example add Switzerland, northern Italy and Slovenia if the holiday destination is Croatia.
Set Here Maps to offline mode
The Here Maps application can operate in connected or disconnected mode. The main difference is that the mode offline will not indicate road traffic and therefore will not avoid traffic jams.
1. Press the menu (again the 3 bars).
2. Check the line “. Use offline “and validate offline use .
Use Here Maps / Here WeGo on iPhone
1. From the main screen of the Here Maps / Here WeGo application, search for a city, a complete address or a place (monument, station, etc.).
2. Select the correct destination if more than one result is proposed.
3. Choose a route if different routes are displayed, depending on distance and time.