Recent computers with Bios UEFI may require the use of a hard disk (HDD ) or a disc SSD in the format GPT .
Microsoft indicates” The main boot recording discs (MBR ) use the partition table BIOS standard. Partition table records GUID (GPT ) use the interface UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface). The discs MBR do not support more than four partitions per disk. The partition method MBR is not recommended for discs larger than two terabytes (TB). “For disks of 3, 4TB or more, the partition type GPT is therefore essential but this can also be the case for motherboards, computers (laptops and desktop computers) equipped with a very recent Bios in UEFI .
All manufacturers are concerned: Dell , HP , Lenovo , Acer , Toshiba , Asus …
This tutorial explains how to make a disc to format conversion GPT . This procedure works with an internal or external disk connected to USB . Traditional hard disk (HDD ) and disc SSD are compatible. The keys USB can also be converted into GPT . This operation can be performed with Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 8, 7 and even Vista or XP . Windows Server versions can also convert a disk to GPT but we’d rather use a workstation than a production server.
The conversion action MBR towards GPT is very fast, only a few minutes are needed to complete this procedure.
Note: This operation will erase all data and partitions from the hard disk that will be converted to GPT . It is therefore essential to backup the files before following this tutorial.
Convert a disc MBR in GPT from Windows 10, 8, 7
1. Open a Command prompt (cmd) on the computer.
2. Write”. diskpart “and validate with Entry to open the Diskpart utility in a new window.
3. In the Diskpart program, type “. list disk “to display a list of hard disks connected to the computer. We do not put “s” even if it will display several.
4. Instruct Diskpart to work on the right disk by writing”. select disk 0 ” (or other number). Be careful not to get the wrong number.
5. Type “. clean “to delete partitions from the hard disk or SSD . A message indicates that the disc has been cleaned.
6. Write”. convert gpt “to start the conversion operation MBR towards GPT .
7. Diskpart has correctly converted the selected disc to the GPT . Type “. exit “to exit the Diskpart application and close the cmd Command Prompt.