Windows 10 comes with free antivirus software: Windows Defender . But where is he hiding?
If it is no longer a priority to worry about antivirus protection on your computer, because the main threats are elsewhere (malware, mailbox hacking, etc.), we cannot yet avoid having reliable antivirus protection on our computers. With market shares as high as ever, the PC Windows are the preferred target for phishing and other ransomware systems.
If your computer is equipped with other antivirus software (McAfee, Norton, Bitdefender ) and you want to keep this paid protection, this tutorial does not concern you. If you have installed a free antivirus such as Avast or Antivir and you are satisfied with it, there is no need to follow this guide. But if your machine is protected by Microsoft Windows Defender, then it’s worth checking how this software works.
Windows Defender comes with Windows 10, Family and Professional as standard . It is a free antivirus, for life and in French . No need to renew it every year . It couldn’t be easier.
Open the Windows Defender antivirus software
1. Open the start menu and click on the Parameter gearwheel .
2. Click on”. Updating and security » :
3. In the left menu, find” Windows Defender » :
4. On the right, click on the grey button “. Open Windows Defender » :
5. The first time you open the program, you are asked if you want to enable the new features of Windows Defender: updating settings and updating protection. Click on”. Activate “and” and” Close » :
6. The Windows Defender software is active. The green color means that everything is fine. In orange, nothing serious but it is necessary to apply the advice (update of virus definitions or rapid analysis of the PC ). In red, follow the recommendations to eliminate threats.
Alternative to open the Windows Defender antivirus
To avoid having to go through the Start menu to open the protection software, you can also use the abacus icon in the Windows 10 taskbar, at the bottom right near the time: